Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Czech It Out

Guten Tag! I'm back in Wien for just two more days. Two days! Verruckt. Ich bin traurig aber Ich bin bereit fur mein Haus. So, here's a quick version of the past week. For more details check B's blog, though be warned, sometimes she exaggerates. For example, she may tell you I use Bidets, which sadly, I have never tried. I'll admit, the thought has crossed my mind on several occasions. Or, B will bring up this one- how I believed her when she told me Drew Barrymore was a man. Which I didn't. Schwestern. Here goes.
The past week has been fabulous, though rather exhausting. Bets, Owen, Mutter, and Vati arrived last Wednesday. The moment I met up with them, it was off to the races. A week has past and the race is still going. I suppose you have to do that on any European vaca. There are just too many ausgezeichnet things to see. OB-1 only had two days in Wien so it was a crazy crash course on everything there is here. We dashed around to as many sites as possible-Rathaus, Belvedere, Schonbrunn, Stephansdome, Karlsplatz, Kunsthistorishes, Naschtmarkt, and let's not forget the Goulash Museum or Zanoni and Zanoni. After two months of living here, I'm quite certain my taste buds are out of wack. No one raved quite like I did after a lick of Z&Z or a mouthful of Wiener Schnitzel. This was further confirmed in Praha when I fell in love with these BeBe bisquits. Truly, they were delicious, tasted just like a chocolate chip cookie. When I tried to share, B made a face and Mutter said they tasted organic (that's never a good sign). Perhaps it's for the best, I've weaned myself off sweets without even meaning to.
After trekking through Wien, Hallstatt, and Salzburg, we crossed the border into the land of Czech. Here are a few places we saw-


Cesky Krumlov


Church in Ceske Budejovice and a traditional Czech lunch of Halusky and brownies. The brownies, though delicious, had a slightly different taste to them. I paid no mind, we were in the CR after all. Turns out, they were healthy beet brownies.


Praha- I suppose my one caveat to my future travelers is, resign yourself to the fact that we might have to share a room. I promise I'm an amiable roommate. I'm still rather puzzled but there was a small debate about who had to share a room with me. As far as I know I don't snore, shriek, or speak in my sleep. Mandy and EP have never complained.


Prague at night- see that strange tiny white spot in the sky above the castle? You won't believe what it is. A floating lantern! Just like on Tangled. They sent up a few but I was only able to capture that one (honestly, I didn't even capture the moment, photos are never adequate). I started singing the Tangled song in my head when I saw it and nearly cried. Luckily I stopped the tear ducts. That would've made for an uncomfortable, embarrassing scene, not to mention potential blog post by B.


Brno-Owen's old mission territory. Quite lovely if I say so myself.

All in all, I enjoyed the Czech Republic immensely. Fried cheese and svickova. What's not to love? I'm looking forward to another Czech night of reverie by OB-1. My only request is dessert of BeBe bisquits or Tatranky wafers.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck now that you are taking full responsibility for the doodle bug tour for a few days. And don't worry -- I will gladly share a room with you on any future travels. You are a perfectly grand roommate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Czech Republic sounds amazing! I'll have to admit that I have never had very much interest in visiting the Czech Republic, but hearing about all the amazing things that you guys have been to in the last week has changed my mind. The fried cheese sounds great, I absolutely love mozzarella sticks, though they are absolutely terrible for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boo-the fried cheese was excellent, almost as good as hot dog on a stick, our (I'm assuming you are with me on this) fav Christmas shopping meal!

    Lauren-love the blog title, you are becoming such a clever sort!
    I do not however exaggerate-you did believe me (last year) when I told you Drew Barrymore was a transvestite. It is not my fault you are so gullible :) I will of course be writing a post about Praha and will not forget to mention how you looked rather emotional when we saw the lanterns :) You have given me some grand details to include!
    You were an excellent tour guide for our crash course in all things Vienna, we saw so much!
    I'm glad to hear that in the end you liked the Czech Republic, seeing as how your first words were "this is just like Brattislava"
    BTW-we were all fighting over who got to be your roommate!

    ps: I for one was glad to come home to some decently sugary desserts. The wafers were decent but the BeBe things tasted nothing like chocolate chip cookies-I'll be making a few tomorrow just to prove it!PS

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe and Follow