Sunday, April 29, 2012

Graduation Station

Whoever invented the cap and gown must have had a distressingly sad sense of fashion. That, or an impossibly quizzical sense of humor. The truth of it is, though I love being old fashioned, adorning oneself in what appears to be a king sized bed sheet is not really my cup of tea (or milk rather, since tea, I do not drink). But the occasion of graduation calls for following certain long standing traditions that cannot be broken. At the very least, I can happily say that the tradition of GC originated in classy establishments, Oxford and Cambridge. If you can't beat them, join them, so they say. At long last, I am rather ecstatic to say that I have finally been dubbed, Miss College Grad. Looking around BYU campus, I feel a bit like JC, "I came, I saw, I conquered." Though to be honest I'm not sure I'm ready to throw myself aboard the moving train called life. So for now, I'm beginning a mini sojourn into reality whilst looking for as many direct routes as possible back to the safe haven called School. You can hardly blame me, I think I thrive on the stress of it. Me + School = a symbiotic relationship, perhaps commensalism at its best (if you know me well, you're probably thinking, "Has L lost her mind???) Ok, I admit, school, stress, and a quest for success was unpleasant at times, to say the least. But over the past year, I've become as laid back as a lemur. And don't try to deny it. Here's proof, this cartoon didn't even phase me.
Well, maybe that's a little bit of an exaggeration. Anyway, while deciding what comes next, I'll begin my quest of changing the world, one step at a time (it's what college grads do best) and remember the wise words of Nora, "You may not know everything, but you can learn anything."

2 comments:

  1. Wow, graduation has changed you; I love that you are so mellow! You should take a little break and travel and see the world before you join it. You deserve it after working so hard in college. It is rather sad that GPAs aren't tattooed somewhere on your forehead. Yours was very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cup of cocoa has a nice ring and I don't know what you are talking about-I love the gown, wish I could wear it every day! I do wish we had the soft caps instead of the weird square boards though, they'd work better with my hair, its enough to make me contemplate getting another degree at another university just for the photo op. All in all, as you are a bit of a quiz yourself I would think you'd understand the whole dress code well enough.

      I'm sure, now that the idea has been planted, you will get your GPA tattooed on your head. Even if you don't, you've stressed me about it enough that it is tattooed in my brain. I agree that you are a bit more laid back but I
      have not heard you singing nearly enough this semester to be classified as a lemur-though you did get into getting physi-cali-fit I suppose.I like that you are now all pally with JC. I myself have been known to shout "Veni, Vidi, Vici" while throwing flowers on his pyre.

      From my personal experience, jump off the train right now-nothing is better than school, and I think I have been here long enough to say that.
      And finally the real rude awakening: your life's ambition is inversely proportional to the amount of time your spend in school.
      Soon you'll be back to this:
      http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=3

      Delete

Subscribe and Follow