Saturday, February 11, 2012

Anime Addiction

I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so.

The Vapors had it right. Why else would everyone know the chorus to this classic one hit wonder? You can imagine my surprise when I discovered that this song has absolutely nothing to do with turning Japanese or, for that matter, the orient. Though upon reflection, I noted that this tactic is employed by nearly all lyricists; writing nonsensical songs with a catchy beat. The reward: straight to the "top ten" charts. Take these examples:

"Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeeah. I'm sexy and I know it."

"What she order, fish fillet?"

Entire song: "I, I love you like a love song baby."

"She woke me up daily, don't need no Starbucks"

These are just a few gems. But enough about song lyrics. I'm turning Japanese. I really think so. Or maybe Asia is just the next place I need to visit. The signs are abounding. First, "my" hair bun, which K never fails to comment on. Then the growing love for mochi, boba passion fruit balls, Hi-Chews, panda express, fortune cookies, and video games. Not to mention, JASON WU.
But most importantly and perhaps the most significant sign is my love for anime. I asked someone the other day if they had ever watched any anime. Their response: To look at me as if I were completely insane and a total nerd. I mean, c'mon, it's not as if I meant Dragon Ball-Z or some strange cartoon. Real anime, Studio Ghibli, is fantastic. If people gave it a chance, I'm sure they'd be instantly addicted.


All in all, though it may be nerdy to enjoy anime, that's certainly not going to stop me from seeing this movie. The Borrowers + Studio Ghibli = an epic anime adventure. The Secret World of Arrietty.



PS- Notice the music?? The one and only Jonsi.

2 comments:

  1. I think I know what prompted this post. (:

    Thanks for posting the trailer! Can't wait to see it so give me a call and lets doooooo it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anime, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are some of my fav movies ever. I particularly like anime hair and facial expressions when they are scared/startled/really mad, it is just hilarious :)
    I agree on the wiggle song, it is laughable when they start singing wiggle so fast in a rap song, sounds like something that the bananas in pajamas should be dancing to.
    I also love Panda Express, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe and Follow