Thursday, June 7, 2012

私は日本語を話す. Hi Hi


Sunday, May 27:

Our first Sunday in Japan was slightly more laid back than Saturday. But only slightly. Here's a brief, but certainly not bland, summary of the day.

1. Bemusing Bidets
Never before have I desired to use a bidet. Yet, there is something strangely tempting about pushing one of a million buttons on a toilet. Yes, a toilet. In one of our hotel rooms the toilet even had a remote. Unfortunately, or rather fortunately, the remote was chained to the wall. You can only imagine the mounds of fun I would have had with that. A bidet spray is unexpected even when it's expected. Now off my life checklist: use a bidet. Not a very pleasant experience but that's culture shock for you.


 2. の歌いましょう
Hi hi. Yes, let's do it. Do you even know what that means?  That makes two of us. Merrily on my way I went to church, so excited to be in a familiar environment and sing familiar songs. It hadn't even crossed my mind that the Japanese hymn book would be just like everything else in Japan. Foreign. Or as others might say for-hine. I could not sing. I couldn't even sound out the words. I didn't remember the English words so, I elected to attempt singing in Japanese. I can do a top notch impression, provided no Japanese speakers are in ear shot. PS- it's supposed to say, let's sing. Blind trust in google translator.

3. Monkeying Around
Welcome to Asakusa- beer towers, temples, and pagodas. I spy with my little eye Japanese peeps snapping sneaky photos of us. If you want to be famous, go to Japan. You'll have paparazzi popping out at every turn. The most exotic thing here was the monkey show. Imagine, a little mini monkey dressed in mini clothes, walking on mini stilts, and doing incredible high jumps like they do in track.
Things we saw: Senso-ji Temple, Nakamise Dori, Chingodo



4. Ueno Park and Back Comes Bruegel

Tokyo National Museum. I was surprised to find that I really no nothing about Asian art. Zlich. After Wien, I could spend days on end in any art museum like the Kunsthistoriches. This museum was different, but quite exciting, though in all honesty, my favorite part was going to the Western Art building. Here, I was overjoyed to find none other than my main man, Pieter Bruegel. For Pete's sake, take a minute and look him up. You won't be disappointed. I'll admit, I may have even shed a tear. Petey's that good.

5. Wasted
Dinner of breaded chicken and curry then I was out cold. I slept from 7pm to 6:30 am. Jet lag zoombie is me.

FrenchEnglishJapanese

の歌いましょう歌いましょう
歌いましょう

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the bidet was surprising, and yes, I was more than tempted by all of those buttons.

    No, it is not pleasant to wake up to someone screaming about the bidet

    Yes, it is hard to sound out Japanese. In fact, I'll say it is impossible.

    the monkey show was amazing!

    Yes, you were crying over Pete.

    No, you were not amazed by anything in the Japanese museum, I don't think you even saw anything there :)

    Yes, you were wasted.

    No, I don't think it was chicken. I believe it was pork.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe and Follow